Friday, July 29, 2011

I remembered talking to Henry Del Toro (a 'shock jock' legend known as 'The Bull' for FM 99 WNOR in Hampton Roads) in the men's restroom right after we both watched a movie in the theater. I believed the movie we saw was 'Cast Away.' He told me how important going back to school was for him and that he wanted to be somebody fulfilling his dreams. He wanted me to do the same in my life one day. Two years down the road, Del Toro passed away from natural causes at age 44. I felt honored meeting with him even if it was just that one time. And I wanted to always get an opportunity to have a conversation with this legendary local DJ for a long time since I've been hearing his voice, as well as pranks done on the radio. He was a good man who found solace and peace of mind after his crazy and controversial days on the radio waves. I used to listen to him often on FM 99 WNOR when I was young.

No comments: