Monday, August 01, 2011

There's a cop....What did I do?

Ok, so there's a cop wanting to talk to me. And he doesn't look too happy, either. But what did I do to make him go all the way to a store's stockroom to find me while I'm at work?

Let's flashback, shall we?

The assignment location that afternoon was at Geneva Commons in Geneva, Illinois. My boss wanted me to get some additional supplies in the company vehicle. And I gladly went about in doing so. After obtaining the requested items from the trunk, I peered through the vehicle's window (on the driver's side) making sure that all my belongings were secured in a hidden place. I observed a police car (not a mall security - but from the town itself)  patrolling the shopping complex while I was heading back into the store with the items. I thought everything seemed the usual - or so I thought it were to be.

Now, onto the present situation at hand....

The cop came into the store's stockroom not looking one bit happy. He seemed like he wants to prey on his next  criminal. And it was me that was his next target. He wanted to question me privately. He gave me the gesture with his finger and called me out like I'm some kinda dog or a version of a lowlife that's not 'white-skinned' as he was. My boss, my supervisor Rizz, and all the workers were wondering about what's going on. After he requested to talk to me alone, the cop asked me if the company van was my vehicle. I said, "Yeah." And then he asked me why I was peering through the window. I told him, "I wanted to make sure that all my private belongings were secure and not in the open. And that's why I looked." Then, he headed out. No apologies. Nothing. He wanted to bust me for a crime, I'm sure those were his intentions. If it was probably someone that was white that had done this type of crime (the one the cop assumed I did), he'd probably get away with it.

The way the cop dealt with me got me all riled up and mad inside. But he did what he had to do since car break-ins have been happening a lot in the Geneva/St. Charles areas. Still, he should have done his procedures a little better than the act he pulled on me. Seems like he tried to vest so much power from out of his super-power police badge being a jerk instead. What he did doesn't represent the town's law enforcement. It was his doing. I still believe in the heroic 'Officer Friendly' from my heydays of grade school and I know there are good ones out there properly ridding and doing away criminals in a rightly way.

My work performance didn't falter. I kept on that night and to the next day. I was able to discuss my situation with trustful co-workers and shared my sense of humor on it. I am 'all good' about it and can move on with life.

No comments: