Saturday, October 10, 2009

Flood in the Philippines

I was completely unaware that this had happened to the Philippines. Seldom do I watch the news, but some of my filipino friends was discussing this unfortunate event to me that originated from Typhoon Ondoy ... It is sad to see many of the countrymen go through the floodings doing everything they can to survive, as well as sacrifice themselves for the sake of their loved ones that are clinging onto life by being on top of the roof. The flood itself is deep - very deep, as high as 2 stories or more, of a building ....... It is a complete mess. Lots of cars were stackpiled on top of each other. Many homes were lost and belongings were completely submerged underwater. Caskets from flooded cemetaries started to surface carrying carcasses of the dead and even some of their body parts floating on water ... The people can only hope that the Philippine government (under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) will do all they can in their power to help .... My relatives have also faced the floodings, as well. My uncle's home was flooded up to the thighs (according to my cousin Donna) and that my mom's vacation home where my aunt, her daughter & my grandma are residing at - is spared, as it sits slightly high on an elevated hill. From what I heard by my grandma and relatives there, it is THE ONLY home that wasn't damaged from the floods. This flood has really hit closest to home as my relatives face the floodings head-on ........ The recovery effort will take patience, time, and God's blessing. They will be okay :-) Filipinos always have that spirit to keep moving forward.

No comments: