Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Being the true American ....

Once we see the news or anything from the tube (reality TV shows, sitcoms, etc.), we are aimed to be influenced easily in an instant. And this concept of 'influencing' also goes with judging our own people in this country. Just think of it - there are many of us that yearn for the American dream yet it's sad to see how many of us Americans view each other in such a negative way. The fact of the matter is that we're too blind to see past the colors, the racial barrier, and even the gender/sex line ... During my younger days, I have to say that I was as ignorant as anything saying this and that because I was influenced by the society and the peers I grew up in. But as I have gotten older, I have learned to embrace and appreciate everything that makes this country what it is .... It's a blessing to be in a new place to live in where I see many people of various nationalities, cultures and backgrounds. I have keenly observed that we are in contrast to each other because of where our origins have came from. But that doesn't mean we have to build a barrier to stay away and isolate ourselves. We have to reach out and extend a handshake, even a smile - that can bring a world of a difference. Imagine that. It would be awesome wouldn't it? ... For me, I've been accustomed to the American life for so long in Virginia, but I was stuck mainly with my Filipino friends in the middle of a black & white society. Then I've went on further to know more of my Filipino background after my college years. And now at age 33, I am seeing the world in a bigger and better way. I have traveled to places around the eastern parts of this country whether they were of rural or urban settings. That same time, I also noticed how Americans act differently from one another. From there, I have started to get the sense of the true American feel and the freedoms our country's forefathers have given to the people ... A message to the next generation: let's bridge everyone together in spite of how different we may be from each other. Our country must continue being strong as a united front.

No comments: