Friday, June 03, 2011

Collecting blu-ray movies

Photobucket
Various blu-ray movie titles inside the Sony store in Chicago Premium Outlets


They've started as 2 or 3. And a few months later, they multiplied to 20. Next thing I know, I realized that I bought 40 of them already. Ever since I bought my blu-ray player back in early, 2010 - I never stopped shopping for blu-ray discs. But I do have many factors in mind that lead to buying them. I have my own ways. First, it comes to shopping in the store not knowing what deal I'll be getting. Stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart deliver some good low-priced titles on a limited time. That's when I start buying more, for each lesser-priced titles. Imagine one for $9.99 and another for $12.99. You're saving, right? RIGHT! It's also suggestible to buy recent high-priced discs and wait it out for a while till the prices go down. However, it's also best to make the purchase on a new movie (or even a classic) that is released on blu-ray format it's first day. Sometimes the first day makes a difference because many days later, the price is likely to change by an increase of $5. Take for instance, a newly released title on blu-ray at Best Buy. It would be $19.99 or $22.99 the first day. A week later from that day, it'll be marked up to $24.99 or $29.99. Another way of buying low-priced blu-ray titles is getting them from Amazon's third-party dealers. But it's best be careful sometimes because some of the movies they'll deliver may be just a copied blu-ray movie with a fake cover. It happened to me once and that alone stopped me from doing the Amazon thing for now. However, I must say - the movie did, in fact played well considering it wasn't the real thing. I also shop for previously-viewed blu-ray selections at a Blockbuster. They're as decently priced like a $9.99 title from Best Buy, but the only drawback is that they're previously viewed. That's all, really. Just make sure you're getting one that is in good, playable condition. Do not just leave the store thinking what you have is great. Always look at the disc itself to see if there are any marks or scratches with the sales associate during checkout. So far, I've had no problem with my previously-viewed blu-ray discs. And lastly, buy with confidence. Go for the movies you want to own, not rent. You'd probably regret it one of these days saying to yourself, 'why did I wanna buy that in the first place?' I know, right. LOL. But you also have the power to control your movie titles and rid of those less-deserving sequels that don't deserve to see the light of day. A great movie franchise alone can produce these worthless sequels along the way and we don't want a part of that, right? RIGHT again. Some of the titles that I can throw right of the bat are the Terminator, the Matrix and Batman sequels. Those are a good example of how good movie franchises can go bad a few years later after their blockbuster successes. Yeah, it ruins the continuity and rhythm of a movie series but better buying something worth it than adding something that 'absolutely sucks' beyond belief. Most movies and their good/bad sequels can be individually purchased as they're getting more power to the consumers like you and I ... And there you have it! Those are my ways on how I buy a blu-ray movie title that deserves to be spent with my hard-earned American dollars. LOL.

No comments: