Friday, July 23, 2010

The Belmeade Fire


The 2-alarm blaze itself on Bathley Place (a street that intersects with Broadholme Place - where my family's house is)

Yesterday was a tragedy in the Belmeade section of Ridgely Manor (a condo neighborhood where my currently family reside at). This is where I used to live and do most of my jogging at (thanks in part to the wonderful paths, especially the ones surrounding the man-made pond. However, this latest story paints a somber picture in the neighborhood I have come to love and admire. The news footage showed everything - the walkways and the pond - but it breaks my heart to see some of our residents homes' go up in smokes like that. It was only a few minutes then that the fires went out of control from one house to the next. Police and ambulance/rescue came in first before the firetrucks rolled in. But it was too little, too late. Families lost their homes as well as beloved pets that also perished within the flames. Total losses are estimated at over $1 million .... I am grateful that these residents are getting as much help and support from their neighbors, even if it's a temporary place to stay and sleep. The power of the human spirit always overshadow these unexpected events ... In regards to my family, they are OK and I'm glad that they are also checking on fellow neighbors.

No comments: