Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Mistaken for being a Spanish-speaking person

Here I am now residing in a great area called Orlando, Florida. I've been here for already 1 month and 12 days. The place and the people are lovely so far with only little or nothing to complain about. However, I do have to mention something that is interesting, and I do not find it to be offensive whatsoever. I think it's pretty cool, come to think of it! I know for a fact that part of my physical features would definitely match up with the looks of a Hispanic or Latino. I can only assume that part of my family's origins could've came somewhere along the lines from that of the Spaniards. Orlando is a different from the place I left: Hampton Roads. In Hampton Roads, VA, there are lots of Filipinos everywhere no matter where I go. Here in Orlando, I can spot a handful in certain spots - so that makes me and others of my own - the minority. Hispanics and Latinos seem to dominate in the bigger numbers as well as caucasians residing here. There are a couple of Asian nationalities (asides from Filipinos) around too, from what I have observed ... So with all this happening, I go to public places as this totally exclusive Florida resident and whenever I talk with a sales associate and/or a customer from a store, a construction worker on the 14th floor, or even a neighbor from around the way, THEY are speaking to me in Spanish. I'm saying to myself, "No hablo espanol." I decided not to go for that idea. Instead, I say to them that I am a Filipino who have a bit of Spanish-blood yet I don't speak the language OR to avoid the "race" thing altogether in a more simple way, I just say I speak only the english language and grew up in the United States for years ... I really admire the fact that I can pass as an individual who bears resemblance to the Hispanics and Latinos. And in the end, even that respect is there!

No comments: