Saturday, August 06, 2011

My friend's got beats - tons of 'em

I had the chance to meet up with my co-worker and friend, Rene, who doesn't live too far down from me here in Aurora, IL. Both of us have the same interest when it comes to the old-school jams, especially in the freestyle dance music sector. But man, he has A LOT! I felt overwhelmed with most of the gems he had on his 780GB Maxtor brand hard-drive. Some I haven't heard in a long time - perhaps even decades. And then there are those songs I'm not even familiar with. He's had an arsenal of them to play back. Chicago is one of the major U.S. cities that had acts who became innovators either from a commercialized standpoint, or even in the underground music scene for that matter. And my friend is a DJ too so he knows almost everything entirely .. One interesting track was 'French Kiss' that went fast then slow then fast again. It sounds like a woman is having the time of her life having sex (you heard it right - she is moaning and screaming in the song). The old-school stuff that had freestyle and breakdancing jams were the best ones in his collection. That seems to be the main ingredient I need for more the new 1TB hard drive that I bought. So far, I have used up 23GB which is my current music collection on my iTunes. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the songs from his laptop because he only had 1 USB port, but I'm sure he can have time to stop over my place so I can get my grub on for these hot back-in-the-day faves. Pretty much, to be continued....

No comments: