Friday, June 24, 2011

'N Da South Chicago HOOD and the McD's there!'

Photobucket
Photos taken from my Blackberry
Top: My co-worker friend J.K. about to enter McD's on Ashland Ave..notice steel bars on window
Bottom: Several customers waiting in line for their food orders at McD's 


Today, my assignment was located once again in South Chicago, BUT this is the first time I've ever worked deep into ground zero of that area. That means more of the dirty streets filled w/ odd characters left and right on just about every block. The majority were african-americans. Some looked homeless. Others don't look so trustworthy. Some were yelling out their problems on the phone not caring to make their problems privately at all. Then there were people that complained too damn much on anything and everything while I was in the store working on my inventory duties. It was urban blight everywhere some of which required police present at certain times. I am glad to be in the care and company of street-smart co-workers who know this part of South Chicago so well. They even had to give me and Riza good advice on how the usual people there operate so that we wouldn't fall prey to anyone's schemes, especially those that beg for money ... The McDonald's we dined-in was not what we expected either. The restrooms require for a manager or McD's personnel to operate the lock/open door for the customer to enter. But before they do open the door, they request a receipt making sure that the individual is actually a customer of theirs. And once you enter the restroom, there are padlocks and chains right between the toilet papers. There have been incidents before that people have stolen something in the restroom. Weird, huh. Parts of the McD's also have steel bars in their windows which would deter thieves from trespassing during a drive-thru. I noticed too that there are several sheets of paper on their walls detailing instructions for the customers. As for the food itself, it lacks quality. Their Big Mac sandwich was sloppily topped off looking that pales in comparison to the image depicted on the picture menu. And the chicken McNuggets we had was so dry, as if it's been 30-40 minutes old. It felt like I was eating more of the coating than the chicken inside. But I guess that was the McD's experience in itself as we were still trying to be "lovin' it," as the restaurant's tagline goes. Despite everything, we all survived making it home safe and sound. I gotta tell you all that this is in fact one of the images of AMERICANA whether its to our liking or not. The streets and the people that inhabit the area definitely tell a story. I am already compelled and fascinated by the rural, urban, and metropolitan areas here in Illinois. I have traveled so many roads and routes everywhere in this state and I'm always in awe every time I check out something. The South Chicago area is one of them. Although I have had my first share of experience there, I really do not wish to return there. But if I do have to come back for yet another fresh assignment, I'll just have to take it in stride.

No comments: