Monday, May 23, 2011

Coldness gone; Warm summer weather brings fun - what to do, what to do!

(blog entry created in May, 2011) Here I am doing a work-related errand this afternoon. However, that alone will not occupy most of my time right now. I'm actually doing two things - typing this entry AND listening to the Bulls/Heat game 3 in the company vehicle's radio system. I usually don't take my netbook in tow, but I think I have to start making this a habit whenever I get an open opportunity to do so.

The Chicago area has now gotten out of the cold weather that had dominated for such a long time - when was it - October or November? The weather conditions and temperatures have never been this better. I find that awesome and those days of cabin fever are done with for the time being. I've never had this many days of staying home and not going out - because it was so cold. After being here for more than a year already, I'm still adjusting and it's not easy. Not easy for a dude like me that used to live in tropical settings before in the sunshine state of Florida.

With the weather going great now, that leaves room for more activity. And NO I'm not talking about work-related activities. I'm talking about all that leisure time to go around-and-about downtown or visiting the many suburbs that surround the Chicago area alone.

So what's there to do in the great city? I'd love to do some window shopping at the Magnificent Mile in the Michigan Avenue area. Maybe check out the aquatic animals at the Shedd Aquarium. Perhaps see a ballgame featuring the Chicago White Sox or the Chicago Cubs. Hmm, maybe take a stroll around Grant Park and Millennium Park. I'd probably save the best for last - the Navy Pier, for a great time.

Then again, I can go small scale.

I've come to appreciate small towns during my frequent work routes via scenic routes and several interstate changes. To tell you the truth, I am overwhelmed. I've never seen this many towns in my life in one area alone. This totally beats the Orlando area which is only 1/3rd of Chicago's size.

So what activities can small towns have? Well, there are some local events that go on during certain times such as parades, festivals, outdoor markets at the parking lot. Best advantage to check this out is go for a ride on the Metra commuter train and stop by these towns around the weekend. With the weekend pass having unlimited rides and stops, you can have as much fun as you want.

But for most of this to happen, I would have to make the necessary improvement in trying to get another job, which I've failed to do. I need to stop the procrastination such as going to Facebook, Twitter, and Google so often - and even repititiously. If I accomplish this task, I will be able to balance things in my life, especially on my personal time in which I don't plan on staying home all too much. I want myself and Rizz to do enjoy the most of our freetime. Seems like work is the mainstay to our active lives right now as we've been working machines day and night. Maybe that's why I lack the 'feel' for liking my surroundings at the moment. We just don't have enough time to go anywhere for the heck of it. By the time we get home and get the day off going on, we're so tired to do anything.

I look forward to challenging myself to better my life. Not just for me, but for Rizz, as well. It may not be easy all the time but I'll take the initiative to implement the change that's needed. I want to make the most out of the Chicago lifestyle while I can. There's so much to check out here. And it's all in the waiting for me to check out. It may not be Orlando or Virginia Beach, but I'll do my best to have as much fun as possible and not taking granted for the great days of summer. As I'm here for the time being, I gotta enjoy the sweet ride that is Chicago. I just may never know what destination in the U.S. I could reside next. That's the amazing part about life - not knowing where you'd end up. But at the same time, God's continuing to bless me in the greatest of ways and letting me enjoying life wherever I am.

No comments: