Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Accident on a July 4th Day ...

I saw an accident on South Independence Blvd. unfold right before my eyes while I was walking on the sidewalk and talking with the fellas leaving the park. It wasn't a good day at all for one family this Independence Day as they were probably heading to Mt. Trashmore for the festivities (not too far from where they were). A big thud and smoke came about at first. Then I saw a car (a Nissan Altima) spun entirely out of control on the median hitting a tree branch afterwards. All of a sudden --- quietness. Then there was the outpouring of support from bystanders and/or other drivers who came in to help. Two things must've been on their minds: to see if the people inside were okay and the conditions they were in. Turns out the children, particularly the one in the baby seat only suffered little or no injuries that were deemed as life threatening. The driver, however, may have suffered a lot more probably having internal bleeding in the organs and/or broken bones. His passenger on the right (presumably his wife) had taken most of the damage due to the point of impact. Her condition was so severe that she was airlifted to the Nightingale (Sentara Hospital's helicopter). I felt so sorry for them as they are going through a difficult time right now. I do hope for the best in this as well as the miracles to keep them going on with their lives. I said a prayer for them (as well as God's blessings) along with my friend Raymond before we ate our dinner. Turns out that the accident itself is right across from the restaurant we dined in ... Wow, it just comes to show that life is fragile and that we can't take it all for granted. We have to make the best moments as they happen while we are still living ... In spirit of Independence Day, Ray and I went back to the park to watch the fireworks finale.

[On a July 4th note, I was able to upload a small video footage of the fireworks at Mt. Trashmore Park through my cell phone's video feature ... it shows a few seconds of fireworks action. Check 'My own "YouTube" videos' located on the right in this page]

No comments: